Friday, October 15, 2010

Change

One of my favorite songs of all time, "Change" by 'Blind Melon'. That song says some things about depression and the feelings it brings in ways that I never would have thought of. Don't get me wrong, its not a sad song. It's actually full of hope. "I don't feel the sun's comin' out today, it's stayin' in, gonna find another way.." Opens the song. Everybody, (I don't care who you are) feels this way at some point. It's inevitable. No matter how positive you are, your life is NOT perfect. It's all a matter of the image that we put out and how much we care about how people see us.
Me, I don't care. I wear my feelings on my sleeve. I am the type of person that if I DON'T let those feelings out, I'm even worse off. Everybody is different. Nothing drives me more crazy than someone telling me, "It's not that bad.." or "Cheer up..". I express myself to cheer up. I don't talk about my feelings to get people to feel sorry for me or think that I "have it bad." I talk about them because that's how I (emphasizing the 'I') deal with them. Through "Changes" the mood changes. Going from " Oh, as I fade away, they all look at me and say (and they say), hey look at him I'll never live that way, but that's okay, they're just afraid of change", to "And I know we can't all stay here forever, so I wanna write, my words on the face of today".
People care too much about appearance. When they want to hear a song about hope, they try to find something up beat. Something that will give them instant yet temporary gratification. They don't think about a song as a journey. Things don't always start out all "hunky dory". Life is hard. And everyone gets it different. Different circumstances, and different points of view. All of us have a different story.
If you stop and listen long enough, you can catch someone's story. You can see the hope that is hidden in everyone's plot. It just isn't always a pop-up book. So you need to read. I suggest listening to this song. Not while you do dishes, or read a book or talk on the phone. Sit down and listen. You might learn more about yourself than you think. Stop every once in a while and take in the music around you. Really feel it and listen to the words and the feelings that the music builds. Listen to yourself. You will find that in reality, none of us really know ourselves like we think we do.

No comments:

Post a Comment