Sunday, October 3, 2010

I wake up in a panic. The new day is suddenly upon me. The twisting searing rays of the sun scorch my eye innards as I peel back the pasty flesh people call lids. What is in store for this new day? What images and sounds will my mind behold?
My eyes blur as I rub the remainders of the previous night's nightmares from them, a necessary ritual in order to take in the nightmare that is reality. The political satire that we call our government tends to commandeer the mind of some. Usually its the ones with too many fears of facing their own political incorrectness that get sucked into the cannibalistic pit that is political science. Is there no one left to not care? Have we all been trapped in this circus where lions are replaced by the working class? Doomed to jump through flaming hoops by those with the correct political stamina?
I regress. Rubbing the eyes. I sit up and wonder exactly where to start my day. The normal activities of a young American cross my mind. Spend hours watching pointless viral videos on Youtube? This is a sadly popular past time. I could spend countless more hours on a social network site enjoying watching the lives of others, as they spend their lives doing the same. What else is there?
Here I write. About what? All I've done is babble on about circus' and sleepy eye goop.. I apologize. But where else does one start, but with the start of the day? Eventually I will get around to mentioning something about music. I always do. The high that a junkie gets from that sweet sting of heroine pumping into his veins after a dry week, that is what the sound of a well written song does for me.
Is this TOO much? Am I getting TOO real? Why write if you can't write freely? Why bother opening up the chamber of antiquities if you have no interest in seeing what treasures have been hidden inside? Are you still following me? I am talking about fear!
What other strange feeling drives us into the unknown? We either drive forward in fear of the past catching up to us, or sit in denial of a changing world in fear of the future. We fear Time above all. Next comes Money. We try not to think about the loss of our sanity.. The risk of contracting some psychotic inducing illness, or being involved in an unfortunate accident resulting in Brain Damage.
Are you not getting the hints I am generously throwing about? Are song names not a clear enough reference? Are you still reading this?
I stumble out of my bed and drag my feet to the stereo. The entertainment center sits only steps from my bed, but in my 'still half asleep' state, it takes the ugly half of a minute to reach it. As i flip the switch that activates the turntable, (yes, I am old fashioned. That's just how I roll.) and the familiar wax disc begins to spin, I gaze upon the familiar multicolored prisms that grace the label of 'The Dark Side of the Moon'.
Going on 40 years old but hardly tarnished by the rust of time, this one album gives me solitude in a world full of Pinocchio's and "do-gooders" that seem to spill into my world. Yes, MY world. I call it "My world" because on this plane of reality, I am the fortunate soul in the position of narrator. On this plane of reality, the world spins on an axis which sits wherever my feet touch the ground. And on this day, the universe spins to a soundtrack composed by the members of Pink Floyd.
Oh new readers of a new blog, don't be discouraged! This is not how my life is lived. This is simply the morning. Soon I will have a massive amount of coffee, trans fat, and processed sugar pumped into my body. Do not fear the coming future. Rush into it aggressively with a soundtrack of your own! Don't waste your time planning and building a future. Build as you go. Your plans will be broken on a daily basis and you will eventually go stark raving mad trying to achieve perfection!
Did I just advise you to not plan for the future? How will that be misinterpreted? Will the circus clowns come get me for saying that? (clowns are not a welcome audience in my world) I am distracted by the bright colors and flashing lights of our political circus yet again. Perhaps today is a day when I can take a break from jumping through the flaming hoops. Perhaps today I will sit in at the freak show. As Dr. Thompson put it; "Just another freak in the freak kingdom."
I leave you with an image of yet another American, living the "American Dream". God Bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment