Tuesday, September 27, 2011

When I'm Old and Gray

Sitting here staring at the screen, I don't know what's worse. Working all of the time so I can attempt to retire and FINALLY enjoy my life when I'm a million years old, or the fact that no jobs pay well enough to pay the bills AND give you a life. Honestly, if I am still working a minimum wage job when I'm 60, I'll choke myself with my breathing tubes. I see these miserable people greeting customers at the Wal-Mart entrance, and they look like they died 10 years ago. I'm waiting to walk in and trip over a coffin with a sign propped on it that reads "Welcome to Wal-Mart!".They will finally be able to stack the ads high enough for people to be able to reach without bending down and mooning the 400 white trash customers coming in the store behind them.

Of course, by the time I'm 60, China will have cashed in their IOU's and we will be citizens of the United States of China. So maybe my kids and I can work in the same sweatshop? We can huddle in our little house and share a bowl of steamed rice while we count how many yen we made that year.

My point is, what's the point in spending ALL of our time working so that we can get by? It seems like if you want a good job, you have to spend $30K on an education that will be outdated in 2 years, so that you can barely scrape by for another 5 years to pay off your student loans, that way you can have a job that pays you to have time off. I bet if the working class was better cared for, our economy would boom. These are the people who would shop locally, instead of buying a purebred dog from some random dude in Italy.

I regress. Work sucks. I hope I can someday have a special skill that makes me tons of money while I can stay at home with my family and play ping pong or work in our garden. I wouldn't live extravagantly. I just want to be comfortable and be able to provide for my family and make sure my children (including my step-children) have everything they need to be successful if they grow up. Is that so much to ask?

I probably should get back to work. Thank Gods for Monster energy drinks. Gonna be a long night!

No comments:

Post a Comment